Criminal Law (with FAQ)

Criminal Law

The Crime department offer assistance 24 hours a day by providing help to those who are under arrest in Police Stations and appearing in Magistrates court in all matters throughout in England and Wales. We have a dedicated barrister to represent you at all Courts. We accept instructions on a private basis and at a reasonable rate.

If you have been charged or summoned by the police, do not worry, contact us immediately for professional advice and assistance.
Our Criminal law solicitors will advise you with regards to:

  • Summary offences such as Common assault , S4 Public Order offence, Taking a conveyance, Driving without insurance and other driving offences.
  • Either way offences such as Theft, Burglary ,Wounding/ inflicting GBH, Aggravated Vehicle Taking, Dangerous driving.
  • Indictable offences such as Robbery, Rape, Murder and Manslaughter.


Motoring Offences

Fees include:
  • Attendance/preparation (probably approximately 2 hours’ work)
  • Considering evidence;
  • Taking your instructions;
  • Providing advice on plea and likely sentence;
  • Advice on sentencing options
  • Advice on whether Exceptional Hardship or Special Reasons arguments may be appropriate in the circumstances;
  • Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court
The fee does not include:
  • Instruction of any expert witnesses;
  • Taking statements from any witnesses.
  • Advice and assistance in relation to a special reason hearing;
  • Advice or assistance in relation to any appeal.
Length of time:
We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place as this depends on the court listing for that day.
We will attend court on the day and meet with you before going to the court. We anticipate being at court for 1 – 3 hours.
Motoring offences, guilty plea – Typical fee: £600 – £1,000 No VAT (this is based on an hourly rate of £217 No VAT)

Grade A Solicitor (Grade A Solicitors and Fellows with over eight years' PQE, including at least eight years' litigation experience) - £217 per hour
Grade B Solicitor (Solicitors and Fellows with over four years' PQE, including at least four litigation experience) - £192 per hour
Grade C Solicitor (Grade C Other solicitors, Fellows, and fee-earners of equivalent experience) - £161 per hour

FAQ - Criminal Law

What do I do if I am arrested?
If you are arrested, you have the right to free, independent, and confidential legal advice. You also have the right to notify someone outside the police station that you have been arrested, and to have medical attention if you are feeling ill or need prescribed medication. Our solicitor will be able to advise you as to your rights at the Police Station, check your welfare concerns, advise you are to the law and the strength of evidence against you. Asking for a solicitor is not an admission of guilt and should not be treated as such by the police. You may consult with our solicitor via telephone at any time whilst you are in custody, and he must be present when the police interview you.
How long can I be held in custody?
If you have not been formally charged, the police can detain you for up to 24 hours. In more serious cases, the police can apply to the Magistrates’ Court to extend the limit to 36 or 96 hours. Longer periods of detention can be authorised if they are related to terrorism allegations.
What is police bail?
The police may release you on bail after they have charged you, but this is not guaranteed. Being released on bail means that you can return home until your Court hearing. Your bail may be subject to certain conditions, such as residing at a certain address, adhering to a curfew or reporting to a police station at agreed times. If you do not abide by these conditions, you may be arrested again and taken to prison until your Court hearing.
Will my case be heard at the Magistrates’ Court or the Crown Court?
This will depend on how serious your offence is. Some offences are so serious that they cannot be heard in the Magistrates’ Court and must be heard in the Crown Court. Some offences can be heard at either Court, where the Magistrates may decide to send the case to the Crown Court, or you can choose which Court you want your case to be heard at. At Stella Maris Solicitors LLP, we can advise you as to which Court to have your case heard at.
Will I have to go to prison if I am found guilty?
This will depend on several factors. Some offences are so serious that you will have to go to prison. Less serious offences may only incur a fine or community service. Whether you go to prison and how long you must serve may also depend on the particular facts of your case or your personal circumstances.